Most of the people suffer from some STD’s/STI’s but don’t get any symptoms. Whether you are sexually active or not, you must be aware of STD as one may have to face it somewhere in his or her life. Some people may have an illusion that a single test can detect each and every type of Sexually Transmitted Infections (STI’s). The reality is something else; there is not any single test that can provide information about all kinds of STDs or STIs.
All about STD Testing
- Pap smear is not used for detecting STDs. Some women think that Pap smear is an STD test, but the reality is different. Pap smear is used to detect cervical cancer in Women. However, it can include HPV test and also detect symptoms that may occur due to STD but do not guarantee that you are infected with any STD.
- HIV and VDRL are the totally different type of tests. VDRL is used to detect syphilis. Syphilis is a sexually transmitted infection that is caused by a bacteria Treponema pallidum.
- STI screening usually checks for diseases like Gonorrhea, Chlamydia, and HIV. It doesn’t detect other STIs.
- You must go for a complete STI Screening after some period. A proper STI testing asks for your blood sample.
- STIs are common. Near about 60 % people have to suffer from STDs at some time in their life.
- Many physicians do not prefer to check for STIs. So, if you do not get tested for STDs, please ask your doctor for a regular STD test.
- STIs such as Gonorrhea and Chlamydia can be cured easily by taking proper medication while some are permanent such as HIVs.
- There are only five STIs that must be reported to the health department: Gonorrhea, Syphilis, Chlamydia, and Hepatitis A & B.
- The best thing you can use to avoid STDs is Condom. If you don’t know the status of your partner (whether he is infected with any STD), you must use a condom.
- An Oral sex can also transmit STIs. So, be careful!
- Remember that STIs not only transmitted through sexual contacts but also through, piercings, injections, and mother to fetus.
- STIs may be the reason for infertility also.
This was all about STD Testing. There are many options available for STD testing that includes, online STD tests, STD’s/STI’s kits and you can also go to nearby laboratory.